5 health habits of successful entrepreneurs
Entrepreneurship is difficult. It’s not for everyone. When we start, we work crazy hours, in an unknown world. After a year or two, we realise that we can’t keep this up for long. We need to start looking after ourselves. This quote sums it up perfectly:
“An entrepreneur tends to bite off a little more than he can chew hoping he’ll quickly learn how to chew it.” – Roy Ash
As entrepreneurs, we always want to be more, and do more. Every evening, there’s still plenty to be done. Every time we have a day off, we feel we should be working. However, to be successful in the long term, you need to focus on looking after yourself, so you can achieve more in your business.
Here are our 5 health habits of successful entrepreneurs
- Meditate. It’s been proven that meditation makes you happier, helps you to manage stress and anxiety, and sharpens your memory. So why would any entrepreneur not meditate? When you start, meditate for 5 or 10 minutes a day, and build up from here. There are plenty of apps available to guide you when it comes to meditation (Headspace and Calm are two of the most popular), or simply use YouTube.
- Workout. There are plenty of health benefits of exercising regularly, but when it comes to working on your business, exercising will improve your mood and boost your energy.
Both are vital to performing your best. Aim for 3 to 5 exercise sessions a week, and do whatever you enjoy. Try out different activities until you find the ones you like. Are you into lifting weights? Do you prefer running outside? Or does yoga take your fancy? If time is an issue, keep it intense!
- Sleep well. Sleep is one of the most underrated factors when it comes to your mind. A good sleep gets you in a better mood, helps to make your memory sharper, and can help improve your concentration. Aim for 7 to 8 hours every night.
As mentioned above, if you struggle to sleep, try meditating before bed. Winding down properly before bed (this means no phones, TV, or laptops), is another way to make sure that you’re able to sleep well. Furthermore, once you get into the routine of exercising well, you’ll have no choice but to sleep like a baby every night – you’ll need the sleep!
- Find time for themselves. Pick a hobby or two that you enjoy, and pursue them. Yes, this means taking some time away from your laptop or phone, and looking after yourself. Do you love reading? Have you always wanted to learn a language? Or you could simply go for a long walk every day, especially if you haven’t been to the gym or done any higher intensity exercise here.
Hobbies are great stress relievers, and encourage you to take a break from your daily activity. They also help you to become more patient and more social, which are important skills for an entrepreneur. By taking time out for yourself, when you get back to your work, you’re more likely to be happier and stress free – result!
- Eat well. Better food provides better fuel, which will increase our productivity and concentration. Eating well starts off by making sure you’ve always got food in the house, which will mean you’re less likely to eat junk food, or skip a meal. Think of going food shopping as a reward for getting productive work done, or use online shopping if this helps.
Simple tips for eating well include: making food for more than one meal (think meal prep!), having plenty of frozen fruit and vegetables stocked, eating overnight oats for breakfast (because who doesn’t love overnight oats?), cooking the majority of your meals yourself, eating single ingredient food, and drinking plenty of water.
Eventually, increase the time, or frequency of meditation, so you’re getting the benefits throughout the day. If you can’t sleep well (we’ll come onto this below!), use meditation to help here too. See here for more benefits of meditation.
In a difficult world of entrepreneurship, applying these 5 health habits of successful entrepreneurs is key. It’ll make the difference between the successful, and not so successful entrepreneurs. By ensuring you sleep and eat well, and make time for yourself, you’ll make the most out of every hour you work on your business. This is imperative – it’s not about how many hours you work, it’s about how effective you are in those hours.
I’m Ravi – a qualified personal trainer and fitness blogger, who teaches people how to transform their bodies and lives through fitness and nutrition. I’m also the CEO of Sports Samurai, an online store selling high quality gym bags and backpacks – you don’t want to miss these, so click the link. Feel free to like us on Facebook here for more articles, tips, and product information.